My Progress

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Hiking Today

The weather this weekend has been spectacular in New England. It was almost 90 (?) yesterday and today will be in the high 80's. Husband and I decided to tackle our favorite hiking spot. Thanks to a new website I found, MapMyRun.com I was able to see what that hike really looks like. It is 3.31 miles there and back...but the killer is...it's all UPHILL!! It goes up an elevation of over 900 feet.

The first third is the hardest and in the past I have prayed to die as I reach that level. Today was better. I am in a little better shape than I have been in the past.
My husband volunteered to carry a backpack filled with water bottles for us and the dog, as well as some snacks to enjoy when we reached the summit.

My husband found a walking stick for me. It makes it easier to have something to hang onto. There wasn't much of a breeze and my heart was pumping...but I made it to the top with no complaining. We stopped to give the dog water a few times, she was panting quite a bit...but she thoroughly enjoys reading all the 'pee-mail' all the way up and back!
Here's what you see when you get to the top of the mountain. A specatular view of the valley and the Connecticut River. The trees are just starting to bud and within the next week or two the trees will bloom.

We found a cool spot to enjoy a snack of shrimp and cocktail sauce and some fruit, as well as more water. The dog ate her favorite--CHEESE.
After a rest, it was time to head back down the road. Walking downhill uses different muscles than walking up...and here is one of the winding roads that makes the hike more interesting. There are trails through the woods, but I prefer the road. The entire hike took almost 2 hours including the rest period and enjoying the view at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors